Hotel Grand Stark
Built in 1907, for the Hotel Gayosa and Morgan - Atchley Furniture Co., among other retail tenants, the historic mixed-use hotel is located at the southwest corner of the intersection of SE Grand Avenue and Stark Street. It is a contributing resource in the East Portland/Grand Avenue National Historic District. The 4-story, masonry building occupies a 1/4 block within the Historic Grand Overlay. In the early 20th century, the Hotel Gayosa and ground floor retailers formed part of the epicenter of the Eastside’s maturing commercial center along Grand Avenue. Later occupied by the Chamberlain Hotel and Schleifer Furniture, they closed in the 1970s and 2015 respectively, leaving the building vacant.
Works Progress Architecture worked with the U.S. National Parks Department of the Interior to create a seismic upgrade scheme for the building that respects the historic elements of the building. The structure will be seismically upgraded and converted from SRO apartments to hotel rooms with their own bathrooms. The building was retrofitted with an elevator and modern building systems. Early studies included the addition of stories to the existing building, but it was determined that it would be best to stay within the historic envelope for purposes of maximizing tax credit incentives.
|Carrie Strickland, Carly Krotowski
|Humber Design Group, Inc.
|Palisociety, North 45 Architecture
|Palisociety & Hotel Grand Stark
|Urban Development + Partners, Beam Development